Weekly Roundup 5: My Obsessions
Updated: Apr 2
This morning, I finished up a freelance piece, drank apple spiced chai tea, did some research on custom-made vampire teeth (because why don't I have those yet?) and drove to work - feeling quite taken with the gorgeous sunrise while listening to a Getting Curious episode focusing on cults (because we are LEARNING).
This week, I've been crankin' out work and brainstorming on how I want to decorate my place for Halloween. Honestly, I am a little ashamed that it has taken me this long to pull out my four tubs of Halloween decor, but Tobias is going through a phase where he wants to catalog and organize every book we own, and I am trying to purge a lot of things I don't need anymore - so really the natural state of my house is terrifying enough! *forced laughter* Funny, right?
I am really pumped about this Weekly Roundup. No matter how bad things can get, we always have fandoms and stories and universes and really cute things to help make it all better.
So let's do it:
1. Earlier this week I had to fight off weepy feelings when I discovered that little Buffy picture books for children exist! And better yet, this site has other children's books too - including The X-Files and Back to the Future themed stories! I am in love.
2. Soon, the Sherlock team will be bringing us a Dracula series! I am so ~(Bram) Stoker-d~ for this. *more forced laughter*
3. Okay, so I am definitely late to the party on The Handmaid's Tale, but holy shit you guys. It's so well done, and a whole new level of disturbing. I made a rule for myself that I can only watch one episode at once, and have to watch something happy or read a book after because last week I watched two episodes, and could not sleep that night. I literally woke up five times because I was so unsettled. But seriously - watch! this! show! It's timely, it's telling, and I am both excited and terrified to finish catching up before season 3 comes out.
4. I know I just mentioned that I have four tubs of Halloween decorations, but I could obviously always use more. It has taken a lot of self control not to buy 90% of this Spooky Town Collection on Refinery29. Especially the little zombie cupcake kit, ugh I mean come onnnn.
5. I adore this Nerdist piece on The Neverending Story. It is one of my absolute favorite films and was super formative to helping me become the person I am today. It reminded me of this blog post I wrote a couple years ago.
6. *Michael Scott voice* I do declare - My current favorite Twitter account is @41Strange. If you are a fellow lover of the bizarre, I highly recommend giving them a follow.
7. I am feeling very emotional over Caroll Spinney leaving Sesame Street, and super happy that he can enjoy retirement after bringing so much happiness to the world for many years. The New York Times did a great write-up on it, including this quote from Spinney that made me cry:
“I always thought, How fortunate for me that I got to play the two best Muppets?” he said. “Playing Big Bird is one of the most joyous things of my life.”
Okay, lots of tears. It's fine. I'm fine!!!
We have reached the end of this Weekly Roundup! Read something you like? Keep the share-the-love train going.
Follow me on Twitter @JordanAbbz and on Facebook at The Hedgehog Files for more.