Weekly Roundup 3: My Obsessions
Updated: 4 days ago
Each day this week, I woke up at 6:00am, fumbled for my laptop in the dark, and wrote for an hour until I had to get ready for work. I have often said that I am not really a morning person, but realized lately that isn't exactly true. I am more like a "not a wake up early and get ready and commute to work in traffic" person. I prefer taking my mornings with a side of hot tea and Binging With Babish.
So, I decided to take back that time and do something for me. I recently blogged about the importance of journaling, and wanted to try something that would make me feel more centered and closer to my goals. As of right now, I really like it and hope I can stay disciplined enough to keep up. But alas, I am only a human/squid/hedgehog hybrid, and I have my limits. Plus, I won't be all self-righteous like THIS CHANGED MY LIFE because it's still waking up at 6:00am and making my brain exercise.
Since my last post, I've attended a local, live production of Once More, With Feeling (the musical episode of Buffy - AKA my most favorite episode of all time), hurt my neck while dancing to Hollaback Girl in the shower, and officially reached out to a therapist. I have already begun to feel anxious about 1. Will she get back to me? 2. Will she take my insurance even though it clearly says she does and 3. Will she be a good fit?
I have a couple of friends right now who are also trying to find therapists, and it's honestly slightly terrifying. Truly, it took me years to get to this step, and I applaud everyone who is currently searching, seeing someone, or who isn't ready yet. I see you, and I love you.
Now, it's officially time for my ~
Weekly Roundup [my obsessions]:
1. Happy 30th Birthday, Matilda! Mara Wilson wrote this gorgeous Vanity Fair piece that (of course) made me cry. I realized that growing up, I always wanted to be Miss Honey, but now that I am an adult, I just really want to be Matilda.
2. I've been following #WomensArt on Twitter and absolutely loving it. Seeing my Twitter feed filled with art made by women is equal amounts delightful and powerful.
3. Have you seen Hot Topic's new Beetlejuice collection?! I seriously have to refrain from buying ALL OF IT. For my birthday this year, Tobias and I drank champagne and watched Beetlejuice and it was like, the most content I've ever been in my life.
Special mention: The Handbook for the Recently Deceased eyeshadow palette. Yeah, I really need that.
4. My friend recommended the Daylio app to me a couple of weeks ago and I am digging it. The app is a free and simple way to track your mental health/moods by picking your emotions throughout the day, selecting which activities made you feel that way, and adding a short note. Or, in case you forget or only want to log once a day, it prompts you each evening to sum up how your day went.
5. Personally, I am disappointed that I wasn't aware of The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell sooner. I feel like I have my ear to the ground on all Muppet matters, but this one slipped right past me. Anyway, this creepy baking show caters to all of my needs and I cannot wait to check it out.
6. Speaking of Netflix shows, a new trailer for Sabrina dropped and I want to run around in circles simultaneously cheering and sobbing.
7. My heart is broken that I will not be in Chicago next weekend for this Buffy Popup Bar. I have been waiting for a Buffy VR experience for years so that I can finally fully integrate myself into Sunnydale, pre season 7, and live there happily forever. Being unable to attend is a crushing blow that I may not ever recover from!
8. I adore a good cosplay, and Ginny Di is a queen/everything I want to be.
9. These Hot Chocolate Dunkers from Trader Joe's are AMAZING. I didn't know that something could taste so delicious.
10. I am obsessed with this Kickstarter that wants to produce and sell convincing fake, dying plants. There are brilliant people in this world.
According to the article:
"The plants themselves range from the “Two Week Vacation” model, which boasts “both slight browning and substantial wilting” and is currently available for pre-order for $45, to the significantly more battered “Three Week Vacation,” the “First Apartment,” and the “Suck-ulent,” all of which are apparently still in development."
We have reached the end of this Weekly Roundup! Read something you like? Keep the share-the-love train going.
Recently, a book I am featured in became available on Amazon!
Follow me on Twitter @JordanAbbz and on Facebook at The Hedgehog Files for more.